Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Family

My Derby family never ceases to amaze me! Just when I think I am the worst skater, the girl that will never "belong" to the team they open my eyes. Time trials SUCK ok I have crappy stamina and a serious problem with believing in myself. But we do them usually every other week so I was preparing for them all day ( i.e making myself more nervous but the minute)! My lovely derby wife made sure I got to practice by trapping me in her car though I surely would have chickened had she not.

To ensure her place in best Derby Wife Ever history she paced me too, after doing her own trials, along with one of my other derby crushes!

We stand in our line and go in groups, and I do my damndest to cheer my teammates on! I love them all! Yet somehow when my turn was up I was honeslty suprised at them screaming...FOR ME!?!

Now I have NEVER been able to make my trials, I feel highly incompetent and slow as a snail in that situation. But I was able to add over a lap to my best time.

To me this was just another defeat but my family proved me wrong! As I rolled off the floor collapsing from exhaustion I found myself in tears, but before they could start to fall my family was surrounding me. Hugging me, slapping my helmet, kissing me (you KNOW who you are and I think we may be engaged now!) Saying things like "I am so proud of you", "You looked so great out there" and a million other supportive things!

Did I make it..NO but only on paper! Last night I "made" an even bigger discover, I have a family! A family of hard core ,kick ass sisters that will lift you up without a second thought! And I am more than proud to be one of those sisters and can only hope that one day I can be as supportive to a new sister as she starts this journey of self discovery and true woman-hood!

4 comments:

  1. You DO rock ZK! Keep it up and you'll be knockin'em down sooner than you think! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already do give this love and support to all and that is why you get it back 100 times over. U are awesome and are going to get there...you are on the very edge of "there." Your heart is a big ole derby skate! I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gonna be able to encourage a very discouraged girl who has difficulty producing her potential someday. I can just hear you going, "Don't you dare give up. I can do this, so I know you can do this, too; you just have to keep trying." You know you're a force to be reckoned with, Miss M3owzka. I love your enthusiasm. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus, you know, if you hadn't had a broken leg during those time trials...

    ReplyDelete