Saturday, February 20, 2010

F to the E to the AR!

So I went for a walk today after practice, it was too pretty to stay in! And in my head I was coming up with the things that are holding me back. And I think I can break each one down to fear. It seems to be a irrational fear..aren't they all?

Main Problems:
Cross over...EVERYTIME!
Problem-Fear of falling
Truth-WHAT? I fall all the damn time so why does it bother me to think that I MIGHT tip over a bit in the corner?

Get the self doublt out of my head!
The problem-The echoing voice...You Can't You Can't echo's in my head!
The truth-Would I have thought 8 months ago that I'd even be ON a derby team much less at the point I'm at and how far I've come???

My body type will keep me slow forever.
The truth-Derby LOVES a bigger booty! Perhaps a little better eating habits and a fitness routine outside of practice could help though!

Things usually come so easy for me so if I hven't gotten by now I never will.
The problem-it rarely takes me this long to pick up on something.
The truth-I haven't tried to be on a sports team since High School! This is a real sport and takes skill and dedication. I got one and am working on the other!

So for any fresh meat who might read this. Don't let the problems get you down. Tell yourself the truth and go from there. If you're as addicted as I am you'll stick with it and when the time is right...release your inner Zombie!

2 comments:

  1. Zk- you are going to do this! We are not exactly "spring chickens" out here trying something new. You and I gotta fight for it. I love your spirit.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZK- Derby is one of those sports that takes a long time to catch on, even if you ARE naturally good at catching onto things. I was so upset up until August of last year feeling like derby was the one sport I'd never be good at. I've always been a natural athelete, and I just could NOT get the hang of it.

    But then, the hallowed "CLICK" happened, the one where suddenly you surprise yourself and things start making sense and happening naturally.

    I think you are doing a phenomenal job, ZK! Do not for a minute let fear discourage you!

    ReplyDelete